If you face charges of simple assault or aggravated assault in Delaware County, PA, you need an experienced attorney to fight for your rights. Both are considered serious, violent offenses. If you are charged with aggravated assault, however, the penalties you face are significantly higher and could result in decades of prison time, and tens of thousands in fines.
Experienced Delaware County attorney Joseph D. Lento is highly experienced in the area of criminal defense and is here to answer your questions, as well as represent you in your criminal case. You deserve to have your constitutional rights protected.
Delaware County Violent Crime Defense Attorney
With more than a decade of experience working in various roles in the Pennsylvania justice system, Joseph Lento is a qualified Pennsylvania criminal defense attorney with a comprehensive knowledge of how a criminal case operates from start to finish, and beyond.
If you have been charged with a violent crime in Delaware County and need a comprehensive, customized defense, contact the attorneys at Lento Law Firm. Joseph Lento built his practice on the ideals of customer service and justice and he will fight for your rights and freedom. Call (215) 535-5353 today to schedule your free consultation and discover what Joseph Lento can do to clear your name.
Simple Assault in Delaware County, PA
According to Pennsylvania law codified at Pa. Cons. Stat. § 2701, simple assault occurs when any of the following circumstances apply to your case:
- Attempts to conceal a hypodermic needle on his or her person for the purpose of harming a law enforcement officer or corrections employee
- Conceals a hypodermic needle on his or her person and intentionally or knowingly stabs a law enforcement officer, an employee of a correctional institution, or employee of a mental hospital during the course of an arrest or search of the person
- Intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causes bodily injury to another
- Negligently causes bodily injury to another with a deadly weapon
- Attempts to cause bodily injury to another
- Attempts by physical menace to put another in fear of imminent serious bodily injury
Penalties for Simple Assault
Simple assault can be either a first or second-degree misdemeanor. A second-degree misdemeanor is the most typical version and can result in a max fine of $5,000 and up to 2 years in jail. A first-degree misdemeanor simple assault occurs when an adult over the age of 21 attacks a child under the age of 12. It carries the potential for up to $10,000 in fines and up to 5 years in jail.
Aggravated Assault in Delaware County, PA
An "aggravated assault" occurs when any of the following circumstances occur in addition to the elements for a simple assault:
- there is serious bodily injury
- permanent disfigurement
- protracted loss or impairment of any bodily function
- serious risk of death
- use of a deadly weapon
- the assault happens against certain officers and public officials in the line of duty
Penalties for Aggravated Assault
An aggravated assault may be a felony of the first degree that carries a maximum fine of $25,000 and a maximum sentence of 20 years. Instead, aggravated assault may be a felony of the second degree which carries a maximum fine of $25,000 but only a potential 10 years in prison.
A Delaware County, PA Defense Attorney At Your Side
When you face simple assault or aggravated assault charges in Delaware County you deserve to have a strong legal defense to protect you. Joseph D. Lento is an experienced criminal defense attorney who will protect your rights. If you are facing criminal charges, contact us today at 888-535-3686.