Chester County is a county in the greater Philadelphia metropolitan area, located in the southeastern Pennsylvania. The county is nearby to states of New Jersey and Delaware. The county has several colleges, businesses, and historical sites that prompt out of state individuals to Pennsylvania. When a person from outside of Pennsylvania faces criminal charges, the case can become more complex due to their out of state residency.
Chester County Criminal Charges for Out of State Offenders
Facing criminal charges as an individual from outside of the state of Pennsylvania can be immensely complicated, and can often raise the already high stakes of criminal charges. No matter where a person is from, or whether or not they are a student or simple visitor, any charges will be held under the jurisdiction of Pennsylvania, and specifically, the Chester County Court of Common Pleas. The court is located in West Chester, PA, and a defendant may need to travel here frequently during the process of resolving their charges.
Common Charges For Out of State Offenders in Chester County
- Traffic Offenses: One common judgement officers make during traffic stops is that an out of state driver will not attempt to fight off a traffic ticket in favor of simply taking the fine, however, a local attorney can help dispute traffic offenses.
- DUI: Returning home from a fun night out can turn into a serious DUI charge in an instant. DUI charges in Pennsylvania can have long term effects on a person's license in their own home state.
- Drug Crimes: Drug crimes, including those involving marijuana, are taken very seriously under Pennsylvania. If the situation extends across state lines, the situation can become much more complex.
- Property Crimes: Crimes involving theft or vandalism are known as property crimes, and can become very complex when stretched over the boundaries of the state.
- Weapons Crimes: Committing crimes with a weapon, or carrying a weapon where it is forbidden by law can lead to complex criminal charges in Pennsylvania. This may affect a person's ability to own a firearm in their own state as well.
- White Collar Crimes: White Collar crime can include actions such as fraud or embezzlement and similar acts. These situations can become very complex when the crimes extend beyond the boundaries of the state.
- Domestic Violence: Domestic violence charges can cause a person to be taken into police custody, and held until bail is met.
- Violent Crime: Violent crimes such as assault may require bail negotiations, and can become very difficult for a person coming from out of the state.
- Student Defense: Because of the number of colleges in the borders of Chester County, students can often become involved in situations that may result in criminal charges. These situations can become complicated, as students will often face difficulties from both law enforcement and their respective college.
- Juvenile Crimes: A juvenile charged with a crime in Pennsylvania can run into complicated ramifications in their own home state.
Chester County Defense Attorney
When an out of state individual faces charges in Chester County, the matters can become complex. Defendants may find themselves either confined to the state of Pennsylvania or having to take repeated trips to the Chester County Court of Common Pleas. When facing charges, it may be helpful to retain the services of a local attorney. An attorney local to the area will be able to have quick access to court for filing and defending motions and will be much more familiar with court personnel. These factors can play a strong role in the defense of the case.