Lehigh County is a populous county located in the southeastern portion of Pennsylvania. The county has several colleges and a number of businesses within its townships and boroughs. These cities can often attract commuters, or out of state students. If criminal charges arise against a person from outside of Pennsylvania, their situation can quickly take a turn for the worse.
Out of State Criminal Charges in Lehigh County
An individual facing criminal charges is already in a tough situation. Facing charges outside of one's home state can only exacerbate the situation. Out of state criminal charges can have adverse affects on a person in their home state as well. In addition to this, criminal charges in Lehigh County will mean that a person must make several trips to the Lehigh County Court of Common Pleas before their charges are resolved. The courthouse is located in the county seat of Allentown, PA.
Common Charges for Out of State Offenders in Lehigh County
- Property Crime: Crimes involving theft or vandalism are often referred to as property crimes. Even for first offenses, an out of state person may be held under police custody after their arrest.
- Weapon Crimes: Crimes committed with weapons in Pennsylvania can jeopardize a person's rights to owning a firearm in their own home state.
- Drug Crimes: Drug possession, sale, or use that crosses state lines can become a difficult situation for a person to become involved in.
- DUI: DUI charges can mean more than just charges in Pennsylvania. The state may notify a person's home state's motor vehicle commission, or similar authority, which can affect their driving privileges in both states.
- Juvenile Offenses: When a person faces juvenile charges in Pennsylvania, but they live in a different state, they may find that they face consequences from both sides, and may have several court dates in Pennsylvania before the charges are resolved.
- Sex Crimes: Crimes that fall under sex crimes can include sexual assault or rape. These charges and arrests often mean that a person may be held under police custody, which will likely lead to bail negotiations.
- White Collar Crimes: White collar crime can include acts such a fraud or financial crimes. These can often result in a person being held under police custody, and can be exacerbated when extended across the bounds of the state.
- Domestic Violence: Domestic violence charges often mean consequences across several areas of the law. these charges can not only result in being held under police custody, but can also have consequences in family law as well.
- Traffic Offenses: Traffic officers will often cite out of state drivers with traffic violations assuming that they will simply pay the fine and move on. These offenses can actually be fought by a local attorney.
- Student Defense: There are a number of college in Lehigh County that attract out of state students. If these students face charges, they will also likely face consequences from their college as well.
Lehigh County Defense Attorney
When a person from outside of Pennsylvania faces criminal charges from the state they may find themselves in a difficult situation. Repeat trips back to the court can become inconvenient and stressful. A local attorney may be able to help. Local attorneys will have quick access to the court for filings and defending motions. In addition a local attorney will be familiar with the court's judges and prosecutors, which can provide a valuable edge in negotiating charges.
If you or a loved one has visited Pennsylvania and is now facing criminal charges, contact attorney Joseph D. Lento today.