Drug charges in Berks County, PA are treated as very serious offenses thanks to America's war on drugs. Judges and prosecutors take drug charges very seriously, and as a result, you could face severe criminal penalties including high fines and prison time.
Whether your charges stem from a battle with addiction, excessive charges, or you are innocent of the charges against you, an experienced Berks County Drug Defense attorney will build you a defense to protect your constitutional rights.
Drug Charges in Berks County, PA
Under Pennsylvania law, there are a wide variety of different offenses that could all be considered "drug charges." What you need is an experienced attorney like Joseph D. Lento who understands all of the different types of drug charges, and who can create a unique defense to your case.
Drugs are categorized under "schedules" which determine their potential for abuse. Penalties for offenses are often tied to the schedule of the drug, and whether it is more serious or less serious under the schedule system. Common drugs that lead to charges include, but are not limited to:
- Oxycodone, Vicodin, or Percocet
- GHB (date rape drugs)
Drug Offenses and Penalties in Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania law relating to the regulation of drugs is found in 35 P.S. §§780-101-780-144 and is known as the Pennsylvania Controlled Substance, Drug, Device, and Cosmetic Act. The following are a few of the potential drug charges you could face, and a short summary of some of the potential penalties.
- Intentionally or knowingly have possession of any controlled substance without being licensed or registered as a practitioner
- Up to 1 year in prison
- Up to a $5,000 fine
- Purchasing or selling controlled substances, or delivery or importing illegal drugs throughout the state or across state or national borders
- Up to 1 year of prison and $1,000 fine for Schedule V drug
- Up to 3 years of prison and $10,000 fine for Schedule IV drug
- Up to 5 years in prison and $15,000 fine for any Schedule I, II, or III drug not listed below
- Up to 10 years in prison and $100,000 fine for 1,000 pounds or more of PCP, meth, cocaine and its derivatives, or marijuana
- Up to 15 years in prison and $250,000 fine for Schedule I or Schedule II narcotic like heroin
- Knowingly or intentionally having actual or constructive possession of any equipment or materials used for growing, cultivating, manufacturing, injecting, inhaling, storing, or containing any Pennsylvania controlled substance.
- Up to 1 year of prison
- Up to $2,500 fine
Other common drug-related crimes include possession with intent to deliver and unlawful manufacturing.
Consult a Berks County Drug Defense Attorney
Attorney Joseph D. Lento is highly skilled in the area of drug defense law. The Lento Law Firm is founded on the principle of providing you a uniquely personalized service to fit your legal needs. With his experience, you can protect your legal rights.
If you have been arrested and charged with drug charges in Pennsylvania, an experienced Berks County Drug Defense attorney will fight for your constitutional rights. Call (888) 535-3686 or contact us online today to schedule a consultation of your case.