Criminal charges in Delaware County are resolved within the criminal division of the Delaware County Court of Common Pleas. The criminal division handles cases from the initial arraignment hearing all the way until an expungement, if necessary. The court will use all of its available resources when engaging in prosecution. Facing criminal charges can be intimidating and the court can feel like an incredibly unfriendly place.
Criminal Defense in Delaware County
Any time a person faces criminal charges, these charges have typically arisen from a complex situation. While Delaware County offers public defenders to defendants, a private attorney can provide a higher amount of time and attention to a person's case, which can help strengthen the defenses used in court. Attorney Joseph D. Lento practices throughout Southern Pennsylvania. Joseph has extensive experience defending a number of crimes, some of which include:
- Traffic Offenses: While speeding tickets and the like may often seem as though they are simply bothersome fines, when several fines happen in connection with one another, it can be troubling. A defense attorney can help.
- DUI: While a night out with friends can be fun, if you are stopped on your way home, you may be charged with a DUI. A criminal defense attorney can help improve your options.
- Violent Crime: Violent crimes are those that inflict any degree of injury or harm on a person, and are done with or without a weapon. These crimes carry severe sentencing
- Domestic Violence: Domestic violence charges can arise from complicated situations, and often result in a person facing consequences across both criminal law and family law.
- Drug Crimes: Possession of any drugs, including marijuana, can be a somewhat difficult to defend crime, however, many times police may have violated a defendant's rights in their evidence gathering. An experienced attorney will know how to use this to form a strong defense in court.
- Sex Crimes: Sex crimes are taken very seriously, and will require a person to be branded as a sex offender after a conviction. A criminal defense attorney can help put up a stronger defense.
- White Collar Crime: Crimes that involve theft of large amounts of finances through deceptive means such as embezzlement or fraud are typically classified as "white collar" crimes. These are often complex scenarios that may necessitate the deft examination of an experienced defense attorney for a strong defense.
- Probation/Parole Violations: When a person is facing sentencing the court may offer probation or parole. Any violations of the terms of these will present a separate hearing process, with consequences of its own.
- Juvenile Offenses: Committing a juvenile crime in Delaware County can have profound consequences for the young person and his or her family. An attorney experienced with Delaware County Juvenile Court can help during a difficult time in a family's life.
- Expungement/Record Sealing: After a person has been convicted or arrested, and enough time has passed, they may expunge their records. This process can be somewhat cumbersome, but an attorney's guidance can simplify these matters.