When a person is accused of committing a crime in Lancaster County, they will have to answer to the court. The Lancaster County Court of Common Pleas holds jurisdiction over criminal matters that occur within the county. The court is made up of several departments. The criminal department houses probation, parole, and the main criminal court. The court also has a number of "treatment courts" available for individuals who may be suffering from drug addiction or mental health illness to explore options outside of standard criminal measures.
Criminal Defense in Lancaster County
Getting charged with a crime can feel like the end of the world. Even misdemeanors in Pennsylvania can stay on your record for years. In many cases, a simple quick turn of events can result in a person facing criminal charges that can haunt them for years. Joseph D. Lento is a criminal defense attorney who passionately defends clients in Lancaster County and across Southeast Pennsylvania. Joseph Lento has successfully handled countless criminal cases and can help you if you are struggling with charges of:
- Domestic Violence: Domestic violence charges come about from a wide array of difficult circumstances. Not every situation is the same, and not every defendant's story is told unless represented by a dedicated attorney.
- Drug Charges: Drugs charges are often much more complex than the Lancaster District Attorney's Office would have a defendant believe. An attorney can help you negotiate through courts' rules of evidence, and improve your situation.
- DUI: When a night out goes wrong, an experienced attorney can help fight your DUI charges.
- Expungements/Sealing Records: After the dust has settled from the outcome of a criminal case, the records will still exist in the court records of Lancaster County and also Pennsylvania. An attorney can help with what is often a frustrating expungement process.
- Juvenile Offenses: Committing a juvenile crime in Lancaster County can have profound consequences for the young person and his or her family. An attorney experienced with Lancaster County Juvenile Court can help during a difficult in a family's life.
- Property Crimes: From burglary to vandalism, these crimes can carry serious consequences at both juvenile and adult levels. Consulting with an attorney can help in defending against such charges and in potentially negotiating a better resolution.
- Sex Crimes: Sex crimes can carry very serious penalties for defendants facing such charges; in addition to the prospect of sex offender registration within Pennsylvania and possibly beyond.
- Traffic Offenses: Traffic tickets may be commonly thought of as a nuisance, but more serious violations can cause you to lose your license. An attorney can help your chances of success in court.
- Violation of Probation/Violation of Parole: When a person is convicted of a crime, they may be sentenced to a period of probation or parole. Failure to adhere to the terms of probation or parole can cause a person to be incarcerated or suffer further consequences. Violations have their own separate hearing processes, and an attorney can represent defendants at during such proceedings.
- Violent Crimes: Violent crimes involves acts that endanger or inflict harm on a person, and may have increased sentencing if any weapons are involved. These crimes are taken very seriously by the court, and having an experienced attorney on your side can greatly improve your case.
- White Collar Crime: Criminal acts such as embezzlement, fraud, or forgery typically fall under the umbrella of "white collar crime," as they often result in large sums of money or finances being gained through these acts. Many times, these are complex scenarios that require the deft handling of an experienced attorney.
- Firearm/Weapon Charges
- Marijuana Charges
- Student Disciplinary Hearings
Lancaster County Criminal Defense Attorney | Criminal Defense Lawyer in Lancaster
Joseph D. Lento passionately defends clients in Lancaster County against these charges and more. Remember, when you are in the courtroom and the stakes are high, experience matters. If you or a loved one is facing criminal charges in Lancaster County, contact attorney Joseph D. Lento today.