The Montgomery County Court of Common Pleas criminal division holds jurisdiction over any and all criminal matters that arise within the county's townships and boroughs. The court will adjudicate the process for both juveniles and adults from their initial arraignment up until their trial, and if necessary probation and parole. Criminal charges can be frightening, and the courts are often unfriendly environments, however, a criminal defense attorney can put a defendant's mind at ease.
Criminal Defense in Montgomery County
The courtroom is an intimidating place for anyone facing criminal charges. Many convictions on criminal offenses can carry long lasting and difficult to foresee consequences. While Montgomery County has public defense and attorney recommending services, a private attorney will be able to dedicate the time, attention, and resources necessary to build a strong case. Attorney Joseph D. Lento has an extensive background in criminal defense, and has taken on a number of different types of cases, some of which include:
- DUI: DUI offenses can happen in a flash. A person just trying to get home after one or two drinks may find themselves with serious criminal charges. An attorney can help.
- Traffic Offenses: Traffic offenses are seldom the cause of jail time, but they are often the source of serious frustration. An attorney may help alleviate this, and some of the costs.
- Drug Crimes: Possession of drugs is a serious charge, even if it is just marijuana. However, many times, a person's rights are violated when officers find drugs on them. An attorney can point this out in court for defense, and build a case around it.
- Violent Crimes: Crimes that involve bodily injury or harm to a person are prosecuted severely in Pennsylvania. This is especially the case when a person was using a weapon. An experienced criminal defense attorney can help curb the tide of the case.
- Domestic Violence: Domestic violence charges almost always arise from drastic situations that occur in a flash. Officers make arrests without fully understand both parties in the situation. Not only that, but these charges will also affect a person's standing in any on-going family court disputes. A seasoned attorney will be able to handle these cases and make sure all sides of the situation are heard
- White Collar Crimes: Embezzlement, fraud, and forgery are all examples of high financial crime that falls under the blanket of white collar crime. These crimes often require a diligent examination of the situation and the guidance of a knowledgeable attorney.
- Property Crime: Theft and vandalism are two common examples of property crime. These often occur in juvenile cases, however, at either level, they require a deft approach.
- Juvenile Offenses: Committing a juvenile crime in Montgomery County can have profound consequences for the young person and his or her family. An attorney experienced with Montgomery County Juvenile Court can help during a difficult time in a family's life.
- Violation of Probation/Parole: If a person is convicted and granted parole or probation, their limited freedom comes at a high cost. An attorney will be able to help navigate the ins and outs of these processes
- Expungement/Sealing Records: After enough time has passed from a conviction and a person's sentence has been served, they may be eligible to expunge their records. Unfortunately this process can be complicated and frustrating, however, an attorney can help.