When a person is charged with a crime in Philadelphia County, the court will pursue the charges with fervor. Criminal charges can be frightening, intimidating, and frustrating. The Philadelphia County Court of Common Pleas will handle the prosecution of criminal charges within the chambers of its criminal division. This division will take charge of a case all the way through to any probation and parole measures if they are necessary.
Criminal Defense in Philadelphia County
Defending against criminal charges requires a large degree of time, patience, attention and experience. While Philadelphia County has public defense attorneys available for defendants, they often cannot spare the resources due to high case volume, however, a private attorney can dedicate the time and attention to a case in order to bolster a strong defense in court. Attorney Joseph D. Lento has an extensive criminal defense background in areas such as:
- DUI: It is common for a person simply trying to get home from a night out to face DUI charges. A skilled criminal defense attorney can turn the tables on these charges.
- Traffic Offenses: While traffic offenses are rarely at the forefront of what people consider serious, several tickets can add up and cause high insurance premiums or the loss of one's license.
- Domestic Violence: Domestic violence charges often arise from complex scenarios and split decisions from law enforcement. An experienced defense attorney can make sure a defendant's side of the story is heard in court.
- Drug Crimes: Possession of marijuana or other drugs can lead to criminal charges in Pennsylvania. Many times, an improper procedure is used in obtaining the evidence, for these crimes, however, and an attorney can point these out in court.
- Violent Crimes: Crimes of violence usually involve some degree of bodily harm inflicted upon another person, and can occur with or without a weapon. These crimes are prosecuted heavily and often carry higher sentencing.
- Property Crimes: Vandalism and theft are common examples of property crimes. These charges can be difficult to defend against, and defendants should enlist a skilled attorney.
- Sex Crimes: Sex crimes are among the most heavily sentenced crimes. A conviction can mean jail terms and registration as a sex offender.
- White Collar Crime: When a person is accused of forms of fraud, the situation is typically complex and requires a careful eye to investigate and defend against these charges.
- Expungement/Record Sealing: After enough time has passed from a prior conviction or arrest, a person may expunge or seal their record, however, this process can be lengthy and frustrating. An attorney can help ensure that the process goes smoothly.
- Violation of Parole/Probation: If a person is offered probation or parole during their sentencing, they are in a delicate situation. Accusations of violations of the terms of probation or parole can lead to worse consequences. A criminal defense attorney can help a defendant through the hearing processes for these matters.
If you or a loved one is facing criminal charges in Philadelphia county, contact attorney Joseph D. Lento today.