The Northampton County Court of Common Pleas is responsible for holding all authority over matters of law within the county. The criminal division of the court will handle any and all criminal matters, from arraignment to prosecution to probation and parole negotiation, if necessary.
Criminal Defense in Northampton County
When you are facing charges in Northampton County, the court will prosecute you with all the resources available to it. Criminal charges can carry serious and oftentimes, unforeseeable, consequences. While the court can offer a public defender, an experienced private attorney will be able to dedicate much more time and attention to your case. This can strongly influence the final outcome of criminal charges. Joseph D. Lento is a practicing attorney that has handled a wide array of criminal cases. His prior experience includes:
- Drug Crimes: Drug crimes, such as those involving marijuana, are simple in nature but complex in court prosecution and defense. Many times a defendant's rights were violated during the search or seizure, but the police and prosecutor will not admit to this. A defense attorney can stand up for your rights in court.
- DUI: While many DUI cases seem simple from the outside, these cases actually have several avenues of defense that a defendant may pursue. A skilled defense attorney will be able to assist with his.
- Traffic Offenses: Traffic offenses are often considered minor nuisances by the general public, however, these nuisances can add up to become a thorn in one's side. A defense attorney can help prevent this from happening.
- Violent Crime: Crimes that injure or harm individuals are generally considered crimes of violence. The consequences escalate depending on the harm that was done and whether or not a weapon was used. These often arise out of complex situations, and a skilled defense attorney can point this out in court.
- Property Crime: Crimes involving theft, vandalism or trespass are all considered forms of property crime. A skilled defense attorney will be able to hoist a strong defense against these charges.
- Domestic Violence Cases: Pennsylvania law takes a two-fronted approach to domestic violence, and defendants may find themselves experiencing complications in family court and criminal court. A defense attorney can help your chances when facing these charges.
- Sex Crimes: Crimes such as rape and sexual assault are prosecuted very diligently, and may cause a person to face heavier sentencing.
- Record Sealing/Expungement: When convicted of a crime, after a sentence is served, a person may wish to clear their name. This can be complex for records in Northampton County. An attorney can help make this process easier.
- Violation of Probation/Parole: Upon conviction, a defendant may be offered probation or parole upon certain conditions, however, this area of the law can be a legal minefield. An attorney can help guide defendants through these situations.