When a person commits a crime in Berks County, the Berks County Court of Common Pleas will hold jurisdiction over the defendant, and the defendant will ultimately be prosecuted by Berks County District Attorney's Office in most instances. The Berks County Court, located in Reading, PA, manages all criminal matters within its criminal division. This can include everything from an arrest, or probation negotiation, all the way up to criminal trials. Berks County provides a few services such as access online to repayment of fines, however, the court is primarily concerned with addressing and disposing of criminal cases.
Criminal Defense in Berks County
If you have been charged with a crime in Berks County, the dedication and availability of a dedicated attorney can greatly improve the strength of your case. Attorney Joseph D. Lento practices in Berks County and throughout Southern Pennsylvania. He passionately defends clients in Berks County, and some of the many kinds of cases he has resolved include, but are not limited to:
- DUI: DUI charges are often the result of a night out gone wrong. Enlisting the help of an experienced attorney can greatly improve your chances in court.
- Traffic Offenses: While many may consider traffic offenses to be simple, non-serious matters, the truth is that they can carry several unforeseen consequences. An attorney can help mitigate these potential effects.
- Drug Crimes: Drug crimes are often much more complex than they seem. Prosecutors will try to slam defendants with delivery or possession charges, however, a defense attorney can make strategic use of rules of evidence and improve a person's chances in court.
- Domestic Violence: When a person faces domestic violence charges, it is often the result of officers placing them under arrest without fully understanding the situation. A skilled defense attorney can make sure all sides of a story are heard in court
- Sex Crimes: Charges for sex crimes carry very serious penalties, and can result in a conviction that can affect a defendant for the rest of their life. A defense attorney can greatly help avoid potential extreme consequences.
- Violent Crimes: Violent crimes involves acts that endanger or inflict harm on a person, and may have increased sentencing if any weapons are involved. These crimes are taken very seriously by the court, and having an experienced attorney on your side can greatly improve your case.
- Property Crimes: A crime involving property can include a high-level theft or a simple trespassing. In either case, an attorney will know the best way to approach this kind of criminal case.
- White Collar Crimes: Crimes involving financial fraud, theft, or embezzlement are often referred to by the blanket term of "white collar crime." These cases are often highly complex and may require a more practiced approach.
- Juvenile Offenses: Committing a juvenile crime in Berks County can have profound consequences for the young person and his or her family. An attorney experienced with Berks County Juvenile Court can help during a difficult in a family's life.
- Expungement/Sealing Records: Berks County and Pennsylvania will hold arrest and criminal records for years after a criminal case has concluded. After a certain amount of time has passed, these records may be able to be sealed or expunged, and an attorney can help make this process go smoothly.
Berks County Criminal Defense Attorney | Criminal Defense Lawyer in Reading
Joseph Lento passionately defends clients in Reading and Berks County. He takes clients' concerns personally, and he is not satisfied his clients are satisfied. If you or a loved one is currently facing criminal charges in the above categories or beyond in Reading or Lancaster County, PA, contact defense attorney Joseph D. Lento today.